Monday, July 11, 2016

Splash!

Hi Friends and Stampers,

I saw a card last year and I was so excited about the image and the design, I had to make it myself. I had a few stamp sets from this company on my wish list. Then the unthinkable happened, The Alley Way Stamps announced they were going out of business and put all their stamps on sale. By the time I got there, these sets were sold out! ACK! I had the letter dies and the stencil by that point, but no stamps. Lucky for me, I was able to talk a fellow stamper out of hers, lol.  So today, I had a few things out and came across this stamp set and decided today was the day to ink it up.


 Here is the Original: 

And here is mine:
All Washed Up - TAWS
Something's Fishy - TAWS
Versafine Onyx Black
Mini Splat The crafters workshop
MFT Bright Lights Alphabet
MFT Blu Raspberry ink and paper
Stampoholic


So the rules of casing is that you must link to the original creator and you must change two things. I am not sure who came up with the rules but I've seen them in a dozen or so places, so I'll just go with that. I changed the ink color and used a background base layer. 

I made a very important discovery while I was stamping up this image. First it is a negative image and it's very tricky to get it all inked up at once with a solid stamp, which is why I didn't attempt it without using my Stampoholic, because it did require two inkings. Second, I used a Colorbox black from MFT's and noticed it was not as vibrant as Simonne's. So I read her card list and saw she used Versafine, which I have had forever and maybe used it twice. So I thought what the heck, and I restamped it twice in Versafine ink and OMGosh what a difference! I even had to take a picture of this one. 


You can tell the difference, the bottom one is the Versafine. Wow, huh? Well, it excited me, lol. I have to share all my discoveries that I come across. I am sure someone somewhere else has already discovered this but you know, it's always good to share info. 

About the time I saw this killer whale image, I had already watched the Blackfish video that is circulating on line and on Facebook. I do not disagree with their findings and after some time, Sea World has recently announced they no longer plan to breed Killer Whales in captivity and will no longer catch young killer whales in the wild. This means no more Shamu shows when Shamu is gone. It is great for these poor animals, but not so great for those of us who were, are, and continue to be captivated by their presence and seeing them up close. It's almost a spiritual connection to be there and see them live and in person. I hope to get to see them again before they go. But like I said, after seeing and hearing all the evidence, it is the right thing to do on Sea Worlds part. Maybe some day, someone can build an infrastructure that would facilitate them swimming by to visit the crowds. I'm not really sure. I'm planning on using this image to scrapbook the pictures I have at Sea World with the kids. 

Why am I so wordy today? lol.  Thanks for stopping by and leaving me a kind comment. 

Holly




3 comments:

Angel said...

Such a fun card, Holly!!! I've never used Versafine ink - may have to try it out :-)

Mona Pendleton said...

Such fun cards Holly! The blackfish documentary was quite eye opening. Used to be a big Sea World fan, visited many times. Had multiple lunch dates with Shamu. Won't visit there again.

Wendy Nicola Jackson said...

Wow, that's a striking difference with the inks! Very much darker and richer in Versafine. A great card by Simonne and awesome job 'CASEing' it. Love your interpretation. We visited Shamu when we were in San Diego, heart broken about the revelations in the Blackfish video and glad Sea World are making a change. These beautiful creatures are mesmerising, but they should live free. Hugs, Wends xoxo