Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Kioshi year of flowers for a queen


Anne Russell has a new Queen for the Day this week over at SCS and it's Phyllis. I chose to case her year of flowers card here. I flipped her sketch, omitted the border for two bows, and used different colors and dsp.


This is actually the second one I colored up. Have you ever thought a background sponging in a certain color would really bring out the colors? Well, trial and error I suppose. lol. I also watercolored the first draft completely and embossed the images, so I spent a lot of learning time here today. lol.


With this card, I inked up the images in memento black, brought out my limited copic collection and found three colors for the flowers that would work. I watercolored the leaves with Tim Holtz inks, and sponged around the image in one of my fav's - Memento Cantelope. Now when something is not broken, I guess I should not fix it, but I do like to try new things out. lol. Oh and just for Phyllis, I added some spica pen glitter to the flowers, she likes them to shine.


Another new thing (for me) is using the outside of the box (or nestie) cutting. I cannot recall who's blog I read this tutorial on but then she referenced it to another blog with a similar tutorial. Basically you put your nestie over your image, decide what you want to flow outside of the shape, fussy cut around that and lift it over the edges of the nestie so it does not cut. The leaves were tricky because I am used to being able to start at another angle when I cut them out and this time I couldn't.


If you have time, visit Phyllis' gallery and leave her some comments. She is a wonderful fellow SCS'er.

2 comments:

Pam~ said...

So pretty! I love how your leaves are outside "the box". I've wanted to try this technique but have yet to do it. Thanks for the inspiration!

Colleen Dietrich said...

Great job with the outside of the box technique, Holly. I've been meaning to try that, and you have reminded me I need to do so! Beautiful card. (much more serious than a roadkill sandwich card, huh?)